Thursday 3 October 2019

MAKING PLANS aka 'MY RIDE'S HERE

Warren Zevon's last album was written and performed in 2002 shortly before his death in 2003. The title track from the album is 'My Ride's Here':  MY RIDE'S HERE - WARREN ZEVON
Zevon, like Johnny Cash, David Bowie and others knew that they were on the way out and their last albums were quite dark.


*******************


I attended a funeral of an old friend last week.
It was a bit 'churchy' having been held in a High Anglican church with a vicar and all saying prayers and singing hymns but they did have a small music system and played a rock song at the start and one at the end as the coffin was taken out.
I don't recall the song at the start but do remember that the one at the end was U2's 'One Tree Hill'.
I suppose that it was Dave's choice or a favourite song although I seem to remember that Slade was his band of choice. Maybe this would have been more appropriate: FAR FAR AWAY - SLADE

Anyway, some time ago I made up a list of my funeral songs being striking and memorable songs and pieces of music that have meaning (for me). I don't know where I put it but with luck I'll find it to give it to The Old Girl before I pop my clogs.

The trouble is that the list is so long and while being meaningful to me will no doubt be boring to anyone else listening to it. Maybe The Old Girl or I could make some kind of loop collection that can be background noise for a farewell gathering.

The Old Girl won't see me off in a church - of that I'm certain. There won't be some anonymous priest, vicar or shaman mumbling incantations over me and misrepresenting my life. Hopefully a couple of people might say a few words - I don't mind if they say I was a cantankerous and lazy old bastard as long as they remember that I did have a couple of nice traits. The Old Girl will direct the 'service' and speak about me even though she will be upset. Maybe she will find a small hall to do it in or of course the crematorium. We have a nice little hall at the end of our street up here but it's a 'camel and a packed lunch' for most people I know to get here up north.



What I will do is leave instructions for The Old Girl that there are two songs I would like played at the 'official' part of my kick-off.  One at the start and one at the finish. I've selected these although this might change in time. My current selection is:

IN

'Cypress Avenue by Van Morrison, the studio version from the outstanding album Astral Weeks.



OUT

'It's All Over Now Baby Blue, the Bob Dylan song as interpreted by Graham Bonnet (1977), the Live in Hamburg 2000 version.




Have a nice day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have put some thought into your funeral. That's the lesson Sue and I learned from my Aunt's. Other people do their best but really only you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have Penderecki at my funeral.
    This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA

    ReplyDelete